Skip to main content

Student FAQ

What is a CAS Faculty-Led Study Abroad course?
  • Every year, Arts and Sciences provides study abroad programs with current OSU faculty. These are OSU courses, usually 3 credit hours, which travel internationally at some point during the program. A spring break program will generally meet several times throughout the spring semester, and will travel internationally together as a group with their faculty member, usually during spring break. We also offer May, summer and winter break programs.


How early should I be thinking about studying abroad?
  • It’s a good idea to be thinking of traveling about a year out, though many students make final decisions during the semester before. Planning ahead helps you save money for your trip, look into getting a passport if you do not have one, and allow you to check ahead with your advisor on how the courses can apply to your degree.


Do you always travel to the same countries?
  • Our lineup of countries can vary every year. We have some programs from departments that like to keep the same location and setup each year, so their students can plan on those programs being available each year. We often have new instructors, or have previous instructors change their location. So if you have a country you wish to visit but it is not showing up, it could possibly be an option in coming academic years.


Are there any designations for these courses?
  • We have had programs that offer several types of designations for your degree, including “I”, “H”, and “D” among others. The designation matches what is already in the OSU course guide, so a course that has an “H” normally, will also have one as a study abroad program. The “I” designation must come from either the course, or the instructor must request it each year. So do not assume that you will automatically receive an “I” credit just because you traveled abroad. Make sure to check with your advisor on how this will apply.


My major is not listed as one of your courses. Can I still enroll?
  • Absolutely! Our courses are generally not major specific, and most often have no prerequisites. They are not limited to just CAS students. We have students from all over campus take our courses and travel with us. If your department is not represented, feel free to talk to your favorite faculty member and see if they will work with us on developing a new program.


How do I sign up?
  • Each course has its own web page, and their will generally be an application page that you can log into and fill out the necessary question items. You can also contact our coordinator, Shane O’Mealey, and he can set you on the right track! Normally every student must meet with our study abroad coordinator, but in times where we need to observe social distancing, students will be allowed to sign up online, and our coordinator will make sure to reach out and let you know what your next steps are.


Are there scholarships available?
  • Yes, there are a few scholarships available every year to our students. We have a CAS Study Abroad scholarship that anyone on our program can apply for. There is also the Provost’s Study Abroad scholarship from the main Study Abroad office. You can find all current awards on our scholarship page.


Can I receive financial aid?
  • Yes, you are still eligible for federal financial aid since this is an OSU course, and will show in your hours like any other program. Please check with the financial aid office, and with any outside scholarship providers you have, to make sure your funding will still apply.


Will I need a passport or a VISA?
  • You will always need a passport on our programs when you travel out of the country. Make sure you get the booklet, not the card. There is more information on getting a passport on your study abroad application to the program, once you’ve been accepted.


    For a VISA, that depends on the country you are traveling to. If a VISA is required to that country, we will make sure to notify you so that you have plenty of time to apply and receive one. If you are an international student, you need to make sure with your consulate and with the embassy in the country you are traveling to, that you are able to go with a VISA, or that you do not require additional paperwork.


Does block tuition apply to my study abroad program?
  • Study Abroad courses are not included in a block rate. So the semester that you travel on a study abroad course, the Bursar does not bill you block tuition. Instead they charge you per credit hour for the entire semester, so that you are not unfairly penalized for taking a study abroad program. You can find out more on the block rate information page here


How will studying abroad benefit me?
  • Studying Abroad is more than just getting credit or seeing famous sites. It is a chance to explore the world with a group of peers to areas you might not visit on your own. You can gain experience in countries with diverse ideas and lifestyles, in an ever-globalizing world. Travel can help to broaden ideas of what a student might like to major in, or perhaps return to develop an international dimension to what they would like to do.
Back To Top