The Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) certificate qualifies you to teach English as a second-language worldwide.
The undergraduate certificate program in TESOL provides students with the skills important for teaching English to non-native speakers in a variety of contexts:
- teaching English to bilingual/bicultural, English Language Learner (ELL) and Limited English Proficient (LEP) students in public school systems and adult education programs
- teaching English as a Second Language to international students studying in English programs in the U.S.
- teaching English as a Foreign Language in an overseas school, college, or university
The program provides courses in theory and education to be effective practitioners in real-world teaching contexts. Each course supports experimental and practical knowledge development by emphasizing the importance of action research and how research informs principled educational practices. Students will gain practical experience through the internship class to ensure effective theory to practice integration.
Application and Admission
Admission to the Certificate Program in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Langugages (TESOL) requires a Bachelor of Arts or a Bachelor of Science degree from an accredited institution of higher learning. Applicants should be mindful that meeting the minimum standards for admission does not guarantee admission.
All applications are submitted electronically through the Graduate College. All required materials can be uploaded electronically with the applications at gradcollege.okstate.edu/apply
Admission Qualifications and Application Materials
- Overall undergraduate GPA average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- Two letters of recommendation
- Provide a written statement of approximately 250 words, outlining a proposed area of study, reason for undertaking graduate study in this area, relevant work experience and future career paths
- TOEFL iBT – minimum score of 100
- TOEFL (paper-based) – minimum score of 600
- IELTS – minimum score of 7.0
Oklahoma State University
Stillwater, Oklahoma 74078