OSUTeach is a program where students earn a content degree (biology, chemistry, mathematics, geology, physics, or zoology) AND receive secondary education certification. Upon graduation, students have three options:
- teach in a secondary education classroom
- pursue a graduate degree in their content area
- obtain a job in their content field
Benefits of OSU Teach Program
- Students have access to a student center with a study space, group space, technology, teaching resources, snacks, and mentor support.
- Students become members of cohorts where they take classes together and form a unique community.
- Students have access to a variety of scholarships, internships, and grants since our program is a collaboration of the College of Arts and Sciences and the College of Education and Human Sciences.
- Students have leadership opportunities through the OSUTeach Club, NSTA, and OSUTeach Ambassadorship.
- Students obtain classroom teaching experience beginning in their freshman year in local Stillwater schools!
Thinking about Teaching?
Take an introductory teaching course as a freshman to see if teaching is the right path for you!
Our STEP 1 (SMED 1012) course is designed for any major! You don't have to declare education to take this two-hour course. In STEP 1, you will receive an introduction to teaching pedagogy, lesson planning, and classroom management. Plus, you will get to observe in a real classroom and teach 2-3 times! If you have ever considered teaching, this course is the one for you!
Students in the OSUTeach program can choose from six degree options to complete. They will earn a B.S. in their chosen degree and also complete all the requirements for secondary teacher certification.
If you are considering OSUTeach as an option, enroll in SMED 1012: Inquiry Approaches to Teaching, Step 1. This course will help students see if teaching is the right path for them by giving them an introduction to teaching, lesson planning and classroom management. Students will even get to observe a real classroom and teach an actual class.