All students in the College of Arts and Sciences are encouraged to complete at least one internship experience prior to undergraduate graduation. For those that pursue a graduate degree, two or more internships or related experiences should be completed before their Masters/PHD graduation.

Keep in mind an internship is meant to be a meaningful experience related to your field of interest. Identify skills needed for your career goals and seek a position that will allow you the opportunity to build those desired skills. Related experiences, even without the job title of “intern”, are also helpful and can include externship, experiential learning opportunity, study abroad, summer job, job shadowing, part-time job, co-op, student assistant, research participation, and volunteer work in your field of study. Any experience working or volunteering in a position or with a project related to a student’s major is ideal for an undergraduate or graduate resume.

Types of Internships/summer positions:

  • Research/Lab Work
  • Computer Science/ IT
  • Political/Governmental
  • Field Work
  • Musical Performance
  • Medical Job Shadowing

Academic Credit

There are no CAS majors that require internship but students may choose to enroll in an independent study course or A&S 3701 to receive course credit. Academic credit is awarded on an individual basis, and evaluated by each department differently. Some internship employers require academic credit, and it does not matter if the position was paid or unpaid in order to receive academic credit. Students seeking academic credit for their internship experiences must visit with their individual Departmental Advisor and enroll in the appropriate course for their area of study. In most cases this must be approved with your Academic Department before the internship begins.

A&S 3710 - Arts and Sciences Internship

1-3 credits. 6 maximum.
Prerequisite: Junior standing
Practicum or internship experience not included in departmental offerings.

Before enrolling, students must have an individual contract approved by the sponsoring Arts and Sciences professor and the Dean of Arts and Sciences (or administrative officer). For use in special circumstances by Arts and Sciences departments that do not have an internship course.

Step by step instructions on how to enroll in A&S 3710:

  • See academic advisor and find out if you can get academic credit for your internship
  • Find a faculty member to sponsor you
  • Complete A&S 3710 Application (PDF)
    • Include a letter from the agency where you will perform your internship
    • Sponsoring contract from a CAS professor (see application for details)
  • Return completed Application to CAS Career Services
  • Department permission will be given via Banner
  • Enroll via Banner on or after assigned enrollment date
  • Complete assignments (as assigned by Faculty sponsor)